Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Daddy JP

Well, it’s been 8 months plus, and after watching Mindy have all the fun with the blog, I decided to take a moment and comment on what the last 8 months has been like.

It’s hard to know where to start. I guess the beginning is the best place. My new love affair began when my new born baby girl decided to initiate me into fatherhood by pooping in my hands the very first time her diaper needed changing (and there wasn’t a nurse around). Since then, my love has only grown more and more each day. I never expected it. In fact I had terrible fears about being a father, and how I might respond to that, but all my fears subsided when I changed that first diaper. Now she is here to stay, and I can’t be happier about it.


One of the things I love most about her is how my parents love her. They are a huge help, and having them in town is such a blessing. I can expressly remember all the times I’ve seen my father truly happy, and every time he is with Elle, I can see the love and joy he has for her and the love he had for Mark and I growing up. I can’t express in words how joyful it makes me to watch this new love story for him and his granddaughter begin right before my eyes.

I had an idea how my mother would respond, and she has not disappointed. She absolutely adores Elle, and it’s hard to imagine her loving anything else more than Elle. My grandfather has also gotten into the act. The first time he has met her in person was at their ranch in Oklahoma, and they took to each other immediately. There was some invisible bond between great grandfather and great grand daughter that happened instantly when they met. Growing up in a family of mostly all boys, I am amazed at the reaction everyone has towards Elle.


I’m also surprised by how much of an interest my coworkers have had in Elle’s life. People at work and the people I work with seem to always know more about what’s going on with Elle than I do. I am very thankful to work with such caring individuals.

Like I said, it’s been 8 months now, and she is the light of daddy’s life. She brings joy at the end of a rough day, and she always has a smile on her face. I should take a lesson or two from that. One more item I’m surprised about is how much a baby girl clothing connesiour I’ve become. I can’t help but shop for cute baby clothes for Elle. Every time I’m out, I always peruse the baby clothes store for new clothes, and I love it!



Mindy, I want you to know how great a job I see you doing with Elle. I am so impressed at how well you take care of Elle and how much thought goes into everything you do with Elle. You are such a selfless individual (even though you may not feel like it), and everyone knows what a great job you do with Elle. It’s completely apparent to me every time Elle turns around to follow your voice, crawl into whatever room you might be in, and smile at you every time she sees you. She loves and adores her mother, and she’s not the only one (wink wink).
Thank you God for such a wonderful family. You have blessed me beyond my wildest imagination, as you normally do, and I hope I can live up to the expectation of being a Godly father.



2 comments:

  1. Sweet Daddy! Your daughter will treasure your words when she's older:) And I know Mindy is so encouraged, too! You are a precious family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post John! It was really interesting to get your perspective on things :)

    ReplyDelete